Monday, July 26, 2010

It's time to land that 'helicopter'



Parents can only give advice or put children on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands.
~ Anne Frank


As a parent, I ...

.. teach my children the best that I can

.. compliment them when they have done something right

.. discipline them when they have broken the rules

.. trust that I have taught them well enough for them to make it on their own (through kindergarten, school, college/university, work, life)



Having said that.. I have mixed feelings of being happy and sad.
~ Happy that my children had adjusted easily and well to their college/university/working life and are having a great time;
~ Sad because they didn’t seem to miss me anymore.



Letting go isn't easy for parents, yet, this will be one of my greatest gift to my beloved children.. the peace of mind without a "helicopter" parent constantly hovering in the background or over their heads! I will let my children initiate the correspondence for a change ... give advice only when it’s being asked for; visit or attend activities only because they invited/asked me to.


These days, I believe I’m more equipped! Now, I ...

...plan and spend time with friends (even go for holidays together),

...catch up on stuff in the house (more stuff in the new house soon!)

...spend time at the slimming centre

...go to the movies

...have breakfast/lunch dates

...read books/magazines

...surf the internet/update my blog

...have facials

...last, but not least, have spontaneous ‘unlimited’ shopping spree and splurging on MYSELF! (bless my husband for the kind tolerance)


These are things I wouldn’t dream to normally do, nor have time for, during my parenting days before. So...


.... it's time to let go ...

2 comments:

  1. Don't la say like that...I am sure your children knows how much you love them and I am sure they will come running back to you soon... Depa baru merasa hidup sebagai orang dewasa tu yang jadi cempera... hehehe
    Don't worry... I will never ever ever let go your hand hehehee

    pgx9595

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe.. sama-sama pegang tangan la kita

    ReplyDelete