Friday, June 11, 2010

Yesterday, my dad was admitted to Lam Wah Ee Hospital.





I was at Tesco with Yasmin when my mum called. She said she had just checked my dad's glucose and blood pressure (her daily routine) and although glucose and blood pressure readings were normal, she was worried when she found the pulse to be slightly irregular - felt like the pulse stopped, skipped beats and forceful beats.

Dashed back home and took them to hospital where the emergency staff did an ECG on him which showed heartbeat to be 'ectopic'. My dad was immediately referred to the Cardiologist, Dr Lim Eng Choon. A second test - Echocardiogram - was performed. Eventhough Dr Lim said my dad was not required to be admitted into the hospital for treatment, both my mum and I insisted he stayed a day there, just to be in 'safe hands'.

What is Ectopic Heartbeat? 'Ectopic heartbeat' is an irregularity of the heart rate and heart rhythm involving extra or skipped heartbeats. Ectopic heartbeats are small variations, in an otherwise normal heartbeat, that causes irregular pulse. They may occur without an obvious cause and are usually harmless. Sometimes they are associated with chemical (electrolyte) problems in the blood, which need treatment. They can also happen with ischemia caused by a decrease in blood supply to the heart. Ectopic beats are common. Their causes should be investigated even if it turns out that no treatment is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment